Happy Eclipse
Happy
Monday everyone! Happy Birthday to President Monson! Love that man. And also
Happy Eclipse day!! Is everyone freaking out where you're at as much as all the
crazies here?
We had a bazillion
people here at the Liberty Jail yesterday, ALL coming from Texas and other
Midwestern states to see the eclipse. Apparently we are in the path of
totality. St. Joseph, MO (just north of here) and Idaho Falls are supposed to
be the best places to see it. And it is probably gonna rain. Classic
Missouri.
Hahah, ANYWAYS This
week was wonderful!! We have done a lot of finding, since we have dropped some
of our investigators we can't get in contact with now. so we met some more fun
people including a man who lives in the middle of nowhere, and it was actually
pretty funny because we were knocking on the front door and no one was
answering, until we hear someone yell, "HEY?!" around the corner. So
the guy had answered his side door and was trying to see who was at his home.
Once he realized we were missionaries, this shirtless man without real pants
on, is like OH, be right back! And runs back inside to put his robe on. Hahaha
so we talked to this guy for a good half hour, and it turns out he was deaf and
so he had to look at our mouths real close while we talked. But he was very
nice. He had been visited by missionaries before and his niece is a member, but
still not sure how interested he is. Just your average Missouri missionary
story for ya.
Here's some other
things that happened:
Tuesday, my FAV Sister
Matagi came into the Jail!!!!! they visited and it made me oh so happy.
Other funny/really
cool thing was that we ended up teaching a lesson for the YSA sisters because
they couldnt make their appointment because the YSA guys were late. But it
turns out we knew both of them so we just taught them because the jail was
slow, and the other sisters had to get to another appointment. But the cool
thing is the guy we were teaching was this guy who drove by us in our area when
we were contacting a former. He stopped his truck with his friends in it and
asked what ward we were in. We were a little puzzled, but told him and it
turned out he was a less active member. We invited him to YSA and he WENT and
is coming back to church now and changing his life and wants to go on a
mission! It is amazing how the Lord knows who is ready and places the people
and events in the right places in our lives for us to get back on track. Its so
cool to see the gospel in action!
Wednesday, we went on
exchanges and I got to be back in Liberty 1st with Sister Godfrey! Sister
Godfrey is on her second transfer as a missionary so she is still in training
and she is the CUTEST!!! It was a fun day. In the morning, I was her mom and
took her to urgent care because she had this giant rash on her arm she hadnt
taken care of. Turns out she had some fungus like athletes foot on her arm as
well as oak mites which are the actual worst. So we got her some creams and
steroids and went on our way to shift :) We also got to have dinner with one of
my favorite members in that ward, the Burch's!!!! Theyre the best. So fun to
see them. That evening, all the rest of our plans fell through so we tried to
go stop by some people and basically not anyone was home, except for Laura! one
of the investigators I taught. Side note, turns out she is pregnant!!! A lot
changes when you leave an area. Haha
Friday on our
full-proselyting day, we did like 4 hours of gardening!!! First we went to our
Bishop's house (The Russells - as if I havent mentioned them before lol). Since
they were out of town, we went and picked their tomatoes. Then we hopped over
to our old bishop's house at the Gallups who just live around the corner and we
helped them pick dozens and dozens of green beans and cucumbers. It was so fun,
I love being with Sister Gallup and her daughter Brooke, they're basically our
best friends and the most hilarious people.
But after our farm
work, we went and did then our day got really crazy. So we had planned to go
over to a members house, the Thorne's, for dinner and a lesson. We have been
trying to have dinner with them FOREVER. So we finally got something worked
out. But then they had to cancel dinner and so they were just going to drop it
off after our correlation meeting at the jail. So we were just going to have
dinner ourselves after that. But while we were studying, we get this text asking
if we were still good to come over for dinner at 5 that night from a different
member Sister Weatherston. OK didnt know she signed up.... so we were
like uhh ok well we have this meeting at 5 but we can come before or after
that. So we went over at 4, right after our studies and she ended up packaging
up dinner for us and so we just chatted and got to know her before we had to go
to our meeting. At our meeting they asked us if we had already been to dinner
with the Webbs. We're like AHHH SHE SIGNED UP TOO?!!? ( we dont have access to
our missionary meal calendar so unless you tell us we have no idea who is
feeding us) And so we felt terrible but we had to tell her we couldnt come, and
it was already like 5.
But I mean at least
they wanna feed us I guess. And we had dinner and lunch for the next day with
the leftovers.
Saturday, first off we
had a MIRACLE on shift! So ok this is a long story too.
So Sis Draper when she
was on exchanges with Sis Greenwood on wednesday, they were on teaching center
(our online teaching) and they took a chat from this guy who lived in our
mission! He was getting baptized that weekend and was just asking some questions
and was needing some marriage advice. So they told him that he could come to
the Jail and watch these videos about strengthening marriage. SO he actually
showed up on saturday, the day of his baptism!! sis draper was so excited! She
was on a tour but wanted to meet him, so it was my job to stall him so she
could say hi. After he got done watching the video I went and asked him if he
wanted to watch another one, and he didnt, but basically we just got to talking
about his baptism that day and his life, and he shared all about his wife who
wants a divorce, and how he has all these "tribulations" as he called
them. And then he's like but my friend, *gestures to the woman with him* just
wanted to come see this place cus she was a curious about the mormons. So I was
like well come with me! So then I ask her if she has any questions, and she's
like, "Well, only a million." So I told her, Mallory, that I could
answer them, or if she was really wanting to learn about our beliefs, we could
get her in touch with missionaries, just like Caleb had been meeting with. And
she was like, "Yeah okay I'd really like that!" I was kind of stunned
cus that had NEVER happend to me at the Liberty Jail !!! But I helped her fill
out a referral card and told her I would get in contact with the missionaries
in the area and have them contact her. She asked about where church was and
what time it met and so I helped her with that, and she was so excited and I
was too!! I testified of the blessings of the gospel and promised those to her
as she learned.
So basically told the
sisters in her area, (which are sisters that we live with actually) about all
this and they got in touch with Mallory. But basically she came to church the
next day and stayed the whole time, loved relief society and wants to come to
the activities, AND they have an appointment with her this week!! SUCH A
MIRACLE!!!
ok next miracle was
that evening. Haha so we had a lesson with the Staffords planned. We were going
to teach Cedae and Bella the Word of Wisdom and Law of Chastity. Kind of a
tricky thing to do with a teenager who has a boyfriend and a 9 year old who has
ADHD... So we were a little apprehensive to say the least. BUT little blessing
in disguise was that Cedae ended up bailing on the lesson to go see her boyfriend's
sister's new baby. But we still went over to teach Bella and her mom Marcy
about this. So it was actually WONDERFUL to be able to teach her more one on
one. And we had a teamup who knew exactly how to explain these things to
Bella.. who had a lot of questions and a very short attention span. It was a
challenge but went better than we thought.
ALSO we got Bella to
decide to move her baptismal date up from December (I might have told her I
wouldnt be able to be there because I would no longer be in the
mission...
) So now she probably will get baptized this coming
month! Along with Cedae! (but not on the same day because bella refuses to do
that haha) But please pray they can come to church. The adversary is really
keeping them from coming with fear and also by breaking their AC right before
they were going to leave. But their desire is there so pray they can
come!!
But my little thought
I wanted to share this week is about the beauty of the simple things, and
appreciating those simple things.
Sometimes as just a
part of our life on earth, we get into these funks. Especially as a missionary
it can be easy to become numb to everything and feel like its hard to feel the
spirit. BUT sometimes we need to remember that all of that is just a part of
this mortal experience. And we can always go back to those basics and receive
the help and strength that we need. Sometimes in life we feel like we have to
have all these MIRACULOUS experiences to know that the spirit is there working
with us. But really those things just come through the subtle little happy
moments and the subtle peace when reading the scriptures, and the reasons to be
joyful. And there is always a reason to be joyful when we remember
Christ.
So be happy! Do
something good for someone else today in honor of President Monson!!
I love you all!
Dont burn your eyes
out.
Pics
I held a snake - be proud McKay
Sis Matagi! Aka Tess and sis Santiago
Urgent care and the Burch's with sis Godfrey!
Jail sisters and all our glasses 😎
Farm work with the gallups
Pretty MO
And lastly I saw Arielle from Liberty 1st who I taught and she is now
getting baptized sooner and moving out of her bfs apartment! Miracles
I held a snake - be proud McKay
Sis Matagi! Aka Tess and sis Santiago
Urgent care and the Burch's with sis Godfrey!
Jail sisters and all our glasses 😎
Farm work with the gallups
Pretty MO
And lastly I saw Arielle from Liberty 1st who I taught and she is now
getting baptized sooner and moving out of her bfs apartment! Miracles
Update on the Eclipse:
Okay I don't know if anyone else saw it with totality but OH MY
GOODNESS THAT WAS THE COOLEST THING OF MY LIFE.
#perksofbeinginmissouri
360 degree sunset midday !!!, everything got so quiet and it was
seriously 10 degrees cooler. You could see the sun flares with your
bare eyes and ahh oh wow that was awesome. Got to watch the whole
thing with some fun people from our ward!!! *excuse my utter
excitement, but I was pretty astounded okay*
Okay I don't know if anyone else saw it with totality but OH MY
GOODNESS THAT WAS THE COOLEST THING OF MY LIFE.
#perksofbeinginmissouri
360 degree sunset midday !!!, everything got so quiet and it was
seriously 10 degrees cooler. You could see the sun flares with your
bare eyes and ahh oh wow that was awesome. Got to watch the whole
thing with some fun people from our ward!!! *excuse my utter
excitement, but I was pretty astounded okay*















No comments:
Post a Comment